What will you need?A juicer
Fresh veggies and fruits
Willpower and motivation :)
How much juice will you drink per day?You will have to drink a minimum of 64oz of juice per day. You can drink as much as you want but make sure you are getting at least 64oz.
How often do I drink juice?It works best to drink a 16oz juice every 4 hours. You will notice your stomach growling after 3 and half to 4 hours. That means it's time for your next juice.
How many fruits and vegetables do I juice?You can modify recipes to your own tastebuds. If you don't like the way something tastes you can supplement with something else. Enjoy your juicing experience. The rule to follow is to keep an 80% vegetable and 20% fruit ratio. In the morning you can make a juice that contains a bit more fruit to start your day :)
Can I snack on fruits and veggies during the fast?NO. You are juice fasting which means only juice all day everyday.
For how long can I juice fast?You can juice fast for 14 days. If you want to go for longer then you have to consult your doctor before proceeding.
Can I juice fast if I am on prescribed medication?Consult with your doctor first if you are on prescribed medication.
Can I take vitamins and supplements while on the juice fast?You don't have to but you can.
Can I drink coffee while on the juice fast?NO. Drinking coffee will interfere with the detox because it contains toxins. Wean yourself off of caffeine the week before you start the fast. If you are addicted to caffeine and quit cold turkey, you will experience intense headaches. So wean yourself off by drinking less each day for one week. After that, start your juice fast.
Can I drink alcohol while on the juice fast?NO. No alcohol is allowed during the juice fast.
Are there any fruits or veggies that I should not put in the juicer?Bananas, papayas and avocados should not be put in the juicer because they contain no juice. Your juicer will not react well to any of these veggies and fruits.
Can I exercise while on the juice fast?It is better to take it easy while fasting. If you really feel the need to make sure to only do light exercise like walking or swimming.
Where can I buy a juicer?Walmart, Bed bath and Beyond, Macy's, Costco,Target and Amazon.com
- Start off your day with a cup of warm water with half of a lemon squeezed into it. This will keep you from getting constipated.
- Drink a minimum of 64 ounces of juice per day. You can drink more than that. Drink as much as you need to stay full but make sure you are getting at least 64 ounces per day. Prepare yourself and be organized. You do not want to go hungry because that is when temptation attacks. Take your juice wherever you go.
- Drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day. That is the equivalent of 4 water bottles. The more water that you drink, the easier it is for your body to flush out toxins. When you are not drinking enough water during a juice fast, you will experience bad detox symptoms - headaches, aches and pains, etc. etc. Also, water will help to speed up your metabolism and you will lose more weight.
- Drink a herbal tea before bedtime. Make sure it is decaffeinated. Do not sweeten with sugar. You can use honey or stevia (all natural sweetener). Dieter's tea is a good tea that can help you with your cleanse.
- Drink 16 ounces of all natural coconut water each day to keep from getting dehydrated. You can find coconut water at almost any grocery store.
- Get plenty of rest. The first days, your body will be undergoing a detox. You may experience a light headache,cold hands and feet, itchiness, feeling out of it, and a lot of trips to the bathroom.So take it easy. Take a couple of days to rest. And be happy that these toxins are leaving your body!
- If you do not wish to juice fast and drink only juice. Have one or two small and healthy meals a day and juice for the rest of the day. Follow all the other guidelines about water, coconut water and tea.
- Stay motivated! It's not going to be easy but it is going to be worth it. Push through the first few days because that is the detox phase and you may not feel so great. After that first week, you will feel great. You will feel lighter and healthier. Your clothes will fit looser and the pounds will be melting off. That will be your motivation after that but you have to push through the first week. You can do this. Keep reminding yourself why you are doing this juice fast and why you decided that enough is enough! The results will be fantastic.
- Take this time to learn about healthy eating. This experience may change the way that you feel about food. Take this time to educate yourself about healthy eating so that when you come off the fast you do not make the same mistakes again. Read books, watch documentaries, search the web.
MY JUICE FAST EXPERIENCE
I started my juice fast after watching the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. Joe and Phyl's stories in the documentary were so compelling that I bought a juicer the next day. I had never juiced before. I had never fasted before. I was 30 pounds overweight. I was always tired. I was very sick with allergies. I say was because that all has changed. I juice fasted for 14 days. It was not easy but as each day went by it got easier and easier. Especially when I started feeling better than I have in my whole life.
My results after 14 days of juice fasting:
- I lost 16 pounds.
- I went down 2 jean sizes.
- My allergies completely disappeared. I no longer take prescription allergy meds.
- My skin and hair got baby soft.
- I can think more clearly.
- I have A LOT of energy.
- I feel fantastic :)
UPDATE: Jan 2013 (one year later)
I have continued to juice every day! I eat my 3 meals but I still have my juices. I feel great and I am healthier than I have ever been. I got a full bloodwork done in December and the results were fantastic. A healthy habit led to more healthy habits. I became vegan and eat healthy and organic.
I just completed a 30 day juice fast and lost 19 1/2 lbs. It was another giant step in my journey to health.
Visit the rest of my blog for more tips on juicing!