Follow by Email

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How to Juice Fast/ Juice Feast / JUICEATHON

So you've decided to juice fast?!  You're tired of being overweight.  You're tired of feeling TIRED.  You're tired of feeling bloated and sluggish after a high calorie meal.  You want to be healthy, stronger and energized as you lose weight.  If all of this is true- juice fasting is for YOU.

What will you need?
A juicer
Fresh veggies and fruits
Willpower and motivation :)

How much juice will you drink per day?
You will have to drink a minimum of 64oz of juice per day.  You can drink as much as you want but make sure you are getting at least 64oz.

How often do I drink juice?
 It works best to drink a 16oz juice every 4 hours.  You will notice your stomach growling after 3 and half to 4 hours.  That means it's time for your next juice.

How many fruits and vegetables do I juice?
You can modify recipes to your own tastebuds.  If you don't like the way something tastes you can supplement with something else.  Enjoy your juicing experience.  The rule to follow is to keep an 80% vegetable and 20% fruit ratio.   In the morning you can make a juice that contains a bit more fruit to start your day :)

Can I snack on fruits and veggies during the fast?
NO.  You are juice fasting which means only juice all day everyday.

For how long can I juice fast?
You  can juice fast for 14 days.  If you want to go for longer then you have to consult your doctor before proceeding.

Can I juice fast if I am on prescribed medication?
Consult with your doctor first if you are on prescribed medication.

Can I take vitamins and supplements while on the juice fast?
You don't have to but you can.


Can I drink coffee while on the juice fast?
NO.  Drinking coffee will interfere with the detox because it contains toxins.  Wean yourself off of caffeine the week before you start the fast.  If you are addicted to caffeine and quit cold turkey, you will experience intense headaches.  So wean yourself off by drinking less each day for one week.  After that, start your juice fast.

Can I drink alcohol while on the juice fast?
NO.  No alcohol is allowed during the juice fast.


Are there any fruits or veggies that I should not put in the juicer?
Bananas, papayas and avocados should not be put in the juicer because they contain no juice.  Your juicer will not react well to any of these veggies and fruits.

Can I exercise while on the juice fast?
It is better to take it easy while fasting.  If you really feel the need to make sure to only do light exercise like walking or swimming. 
 

Where can I buy a juicer?
Walmart, Bed bath and Beyond, Macy's, Costco,Target and Amazon.com

JUICEATHON INSTRUCTIONS


  • Start off your day with a cup of warm water with half of a lemon squeezed into it.  This will keep you from getting constipated.
  • Drink a minimum  of 64 ounces of juice per day.  You can drink more than that.  Drink as much as you need to stay full but make sure you are getting at least 64 ounces per day.  Prepare yourself and be organized.  You do not want to go hungry because that is when temptation attacks.  Take your juice wherever you go.
  • Drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day.  That is the equivalent of 4 water bottles.  The more water that you drink, the easier it is for your body to flush out toxins.  When you are not drinking enough water during a juice fast, you will experience bad detox symptoms - headaches, aches and pains, etc. etc.  Also, water will help to speed up your metabolism and you will lose more weight.
  • Drink a herbal tea before bedtime.  Make sure it is decaffeinated.  Do not sweeten with sugar.  You can use honey or stevia (all natural sweetener).  Dieter's tea is a good tea that can help you with your cleanse.

  • Drink 16 ounces of all natural coconut water each day to keep from getting dehydrated.  You can find coconut water at almost any grocery store.
  •  Get plenty of rest.  The first days, your body will be undergoing a detox.  You may experience a light headache,cold hands and feet, itchiness, feeling out of it, and a lot of trips to the bathroom.So take it easy.  Take a couple of days to rest.  And be happy that these toxins are leaving your body!
  • If you do not wish to juice fast and drink only juice.  Have one or two small and healthy meals a day and juice for the rest of the day.  Follow all the other guidelines about water, coconut water and tea.
  • Stay motivated!  It's not going to be easy but it is going to be worth it.  Push through the first few days because that is the detox phase and you may not feel so great.  After that first week, you will feel great.  You will feel lighter and healthier.  Your clothes will fit looser and the pounds will be melting off.  That will be your motivation after that but you have to push through the first week.  You can do this.  Keep reminding yourself why you are doing this juice fast and why you decided that enough is enough!  The results will be fantastic.

  • Take this time to learn about healthy eating.  This experience may change the way that you feel about food.  Take this time to educate yourself about healthy eating so that when you come off the fast you do not make the same mistakes again.  Read books, watch documentaries, search the web.
MY JUICE FAST EXPERIENCE
I started my juice fast after watching the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix.  Joe and Phyl's stories in the documentary were so compelling that I bought a juicer the next day.  I had never juiced before.  I had never fasted before.  I was 30 pounds overweight.  I was always tired.  I was very sick with allergies.  I say was because that all has changed.  I juice fasted for 14 days.  It was not easy but as each day went by it got easier and easier.  Especially when I started feeling better than I have in my whole life.  

My results after 14 days of juice fasting:
  • I lost 16 pounds.
  • I went down 2 jean sizes.
  • My allergies completely disappeared.  I no longer take prescription allergy meds.  
  • My skin and hair got baby soft.
  • I can think more clearly.
  • I have A LOT of energy.
  • I feel fantastic :)
Currently, I am juicing for breakfast and dinner , exercising and having a healthy lunch until I reach my weight goal. 

UPDATE: Jan 2013 (one year later)
I have continued to juice every day!  I eat my 3 meals but I still have my juices.  I feel great and I am healthier than I have ever been.  I got a full bloodwork done in December and the results were fantastic.  A healthy habit led to more healthy habits.  I became vegan and eat healthy and organic.  

UPDATE:February 2013
I just completed a 30 day juice fast and lost 19 1/2 lbs.  It was another giant step in my journey to health.  
 

Visit the rest of my blog for more tips on juicing!

31 comments:

  1. Just curious- the coconut water, the tea with honey...both of those while you did the juice fast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Natalie! I drank coconut water on a daily basis. At least 16 ounces. The tea that I drank was Dieter's Tea but I did not drink it on a daily basis. I probably drank it every other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniela,
    I'm so happy to read your blog. I can see that you are a new person with a major passion. Me too. I run a juice fasting retreat center in Florida. Check me out. Say hi. I healed myself of cancer back in the 70's after I was told that I needed a hysterectomy....didn't do what they told me....instead I took my own health into my own hands. www.circle-of-life.net Jill Schneider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, Wow! Your story is amazing and inspiring. Your juice fasting retreat center sounds wonderful. I am so happy to hear about it. I am very passionate about juicing and juice fasting because it has completely changed my life. Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog!

      Delete
  4. Hi Daniela,
    I'm on day 5, and having a really hard time. My job is pretty physical, and the juicing is putting me in pain, making me weak and unable to focus. Any tips? I think I'm following everything you outlined...
    Also, how do you wean yourself off this? What's the best way to go from all juice to something more solid again?
    Thanks for your time!
    ~ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ellie,
      Congratulations on getting to Day 5. I believe that the juice fast gets better after Day 5! During the first 3-5 days, the detox symptoms are most intense. Detox symptoms may include low energy and lack of focus due to the toxins being released from the body. Make sure that you're drinking enough juice (at least 64oz a day) and plenty of water.

      How physical is your job? During a juice feast, it is not recommended that you do very intense physical activity. You are fasting and your body is undergoing a big nutritional change along with less calories. You may need to incorporate some cooked vegetables (soups,steamed,etc.) or raw vegetables (salads, baby carrots, etc.). You may also juice a few times a day but incorporate a very healthy meal in your day. Since you have already detoxed by fasting for five days, it is okay for you to do this until you reach your goal. You will still lose weight and heal your body.

      To wean yourself off, start incorporating salads, soups and veggies, and small healthy meals. Take a multivitamin if you're not already. I also recommend omega3 fish oil tablets. Continue to juice, eat well and exercise. Your body will thank you for it! Best wishes and let me know if you have any more questions.
      Daniela

      Delete
  5. can i do this while breastfeeding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mel, it is not recommended that you juice fast while breastfeeding because of the toxins released during the detox phase. However, it would benefit you tremendously to juice at least once a day!

      Delete
  6. Hey All,

    I was classified a "Disabled" Vet at 26 years old. I was badly injured in the Air Force, and was discharged on disability. 2 years went buy and countless bottles of prescription pills.. I was fairly immobile because of the pain, and of course I gained quite a bit of weight due to my injury and the subsequent medications.

    I saw "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," and I decided that I had had enough! I ordered a Juicer the next day! I fell off the wagon many... Many times, but still, I started to notice little things: no allergies, waking up without coffee, not needing ADHD medication to concentrate, weight loss in my face and belly...

    Every time I tried to Juice fast, I would make it a few more days, till finally I made it a whole week!
    Long story short, I have taken NO medications AT ALL for nearly 5 months, I am running and biking again, (the doctors told me I would NEVER be able to run gain) and I am getting hit on a lot when I go out with friends. It feels so wonderful to be healthy again.

    I have to say, the body wants to be well! We need to stop letting processed foods and medications get in the way.

    Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who is trying this for themselves, or merely supporting a friend while they try it. It means more than you could ever know to have that kind of support.

    Cody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cody, your story is absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing this, I know you will inspire people. I'm so happy for you and I love to hear stories like this. I am a 100% believer in the power of juicing and the healing effects that it has on our bodies.
      Happy Juicing,
      Daniela

      Delete
  7. Day 4 and very anxious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see my recent post on inner peace.
      Happy juicing,
      Daniela

      Delete
  8. I'm on day 3 and am pushing through. I was wondering about the vitamins and coconut water. I'll have to get on that. I might try smooth move tea too, will that be okay?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Daniela ... Did you use conventional or organic fruit? Organic is so expensive but it's what I would prefer to use. ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I used as much organic fruits & veggies as possible. Costco & Trader Joes were a good source of organic produce for me. Since then I've switched completely to organic. It does cost a little more but it's very well worth it!!

      Delete
  10. I need some general advice and maybe some positive thoughts. I love your blog and I found it searching for sinus issues and changes in diet, etc. .

    I got the flu in early January and ever since I've been sick - like head cold, sinus infections, you name it. Odd, since I'm the one who always brags that natural remedies a neti pot have kept me infection-free for years. Anyway, three rounds of oral antibiotics did nothing. Doc put me on outpatient therapy of IV antibiotics and ster...oids (I made sure to drink plenty of fluids and take probiotics while I was on all antibiotics). This was about three weeks ago. I watched Fat, Sick ... and Food Matters and other related films and decided to overhaul my diet. I cut out all grains, sugar, processed foods, dairy and meat. I increased my water intake greatly (10+ glasses of pure water a day) and started taking mega doses of vitamins (mainly A, C, D, and E). Doc had me get a CT scan and an ENT visit which did nothing but tell me it's not obstruction related (like polyps) and no sinusitis. Doc and ENT suggested I go to an allergist. Being proactive, I changed the filters in my furnace, bought a HEPA vacuum, bought a sealed dust cover for my mattress, bought allergen-busting laundry soap, stuff to rub on the cats for dander and got two air purifiers. I even got a humidifer since I know the bedroom air is dry. I bought a juicer and juice several times a day. I figured I wouldn't need to go because by then (tomorrow) the change in diet and the supplements and all these other positive changes would surely show SOME improvement, right? Wrong. Two days ago, after a week or so of my sinuses being clear (but still congestion, fog, dizzy due to ears being clogged and headache and feeling really run down), I started getting a very bad sore throat and nose running. By yesterday morning it was apparent I am developing another sinus infection. WHAT?!?!!!! I didn't expect to go from being sick to skipping around the neighborhood in a week, but I would think in three weeks I'd see SOME improvement. I'm now seriously discouraged (thoughts include wondering why I'm depriving myself of all the yummy foods I used to eat and why I'm doing all this stuff I'm doing if the end result is NOTHING). I live in a little podunk town, so natural medicine, organic produce and wellness groups don't exist. This is more than minor allergies or a head cold. I've been off of work for almost a month and it seems like there's no end in sight and it's beyond scaring me. I don't know what else to do to get better. Any advice, positive feeedback, help appreciated (and no, I won't take it as medical advice and yes I know I still have to check with my doctor -- even though they have no intention of helping beyond meds). Thanks much in advance anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all of this. I can relate! Back in November of 2011,I got a flu(or so I thought), that just wouldn't go away. It was so severe. I had a sinus infection, I was on medication & I was absolutely miserable. The doctors couldn't do anything other than tell me that I had winter allergies. In mid January, I did my first juice fast. I fasted for 14 days. As soon as the detox happened, about 5 days into the fast, I got better! Then my illness just completely went away!

      I strongly recommend a juice fast for you. If you don't want to fast for many days at least go long enough for a detox to happen, at least 7 days. In your fast, use raw ginger in your juices. Raw ginger, when used is great for sinuses & sinus infections. It's anti-inflammatory & pain relieving. Ginger has a strong taste, so use just a small piece when using. I also take ginger capsules on a daily basis! Another great remedy for sinus infections is peppermint. You can drink peppermint tea in the mornings. Peppermint is an expectorant and will aid in expelling mucus from the nasal passages & it is also anti-inflammatory. I think it would really boost your immune system if you did a detox & continued to eat healthy after that. Sometimes the body won't heal because it needs to detox first. It needs to purge all of the toxins before it can heal.

      I hope that this helps you & you're off those meds and back to your normal life soon! Let me know if you have any more questions & keep me updated!

      Happy Juicing!
      Daniela

      Delete
  11. Hi, so excited to find your blog. I found it when googling whether i could snack or not. I began juice fast on March.25. I made it 11 days and then the munchies started getting to me. I have fallen off several times now but i know i did get those 11 days of.detox and i was loving it,i do not know why I'm struggling now. Today i am back on it but i ate an avocado and some almonds. Then a google search led me here and i see i shouldn't be eating anything.. are there ANY healthy snacks i can have? I just really want another taste besides juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. Juice fasting is not easy! It is definitely a test of will power but it can be done! Congrats on getting to 11 days, that was great! There's really no snacking allowed on a juice fast. The best snack during a very weak moment is a piece of fruit or vegetable. But you can do it! It just takes focus, determination and commitment. During my 30 day juice fast I was so focused that food didn't even tempt me. I cooked on a daily basis for my husband! Meditation and yoga were tools that helped ease my impulses to eat something. Also, I would think about what great things were happening healthwise to my body & of course the weight loss!
      Happy Juicing!
      Daniela

      Delete
  12. Hey!

    I love reading real stories about juice fasting! I am on day four and feel great already! I did have a question though, sometimes I feel like I'm not getting enough calories because I work during the day (juicerless haha). But I do drink at least 64oz a day because I bring a 24oz glass for lunch that I prepare in the morning. Any ideas? Or how I can find out how many calories are in the juices?

    Also, any yummy recipes for the veggie juices? I seem to dislike anything that touches carrots...

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Congratulations! You're making a giant step towards health! How do you feel you're not getting enough calories? Are you hungry? Maybe you can take more juice with you to work. The best way to calculate calories in a juice is to use a calorie counter to calculate the calories in each fruit and veggie and subtract 13% of the total. 13% is the recommended deduction when calculating calories for juicing. To be honest with you, I had no concern for calories when I was juice fasting. I just drank when I was hungry and made sure to drink at least 64oz a day.

      Have you tried mean green plus a beet? Cucumber, celery, spinach or kale , apples and a beet! Beets are amongst my favorite veggies to juice. Another beet juice recipe- Beet, beet greens, celery, cucumber, apple! For lots more recipes visit- www.rebootwithjoe.com.

      Happy Juicing!
      Daniela

      Delete
  13. Hi Daniela,
    my coworker will begin juicing soon and since she knows I've been trying to loose weight (30 lbs) she motivated me to juice fast with her. I already ordered a juicer online and now I am waiting for it to arrive. I am really glad to have come across your blog. I am excited about the benefits and hope that this next step will help me in becoming a healthier person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I wish you the absolute best as you embark on this health journey! I am excited for you because juicing was the first step for me in my health journey. My life has completely changed for the better! Also, juicing is fun! The possibilities for juicing combinations are limitless. Have fun exploring with new vegetables and fruit! I am confident that you can reach your weight loss goal. I owe 33 lbs of the weight I've lost solely to the juice fasts that I've done. And from each juice fasts I've come forward with a healthier mind and body, with tremendous amount of willpower that has taken me to healthier and healthier habits! Best wishes & feel free to ask me any questions you may have along the way!

      Happy Juicing!
      Daniela

      Delete
  14. Hola Daniela,

    I just started my juice fast today along with my girlfriend and I am very excited! I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead over the weekend and it was the deciding point to start my journey to a healthy lifestyle. I love your blog and I am very happy to have found it, it definitely reassures my decision to start juicing. I have been wondering if the water that I drink throughout the day has to be warm or room temperature or can it be cold? In my research about juice fasting, I have read that warm water is recommended but I prefer cold water if it does not affect the outcome or the way I am going to feel. Can you advice on this please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola! Congratulations on starting your first juice fast. I love Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead! That movie saved my life. That's where it all began for me so yayyy you!
      I've never heard or read anything about water importance while fasting other than that warm water helps to eliminate. I will do more research about it. From my experience I can tell you that when I juice fast (and this happens to most people), my body temperature drops and I am colder than usual with cold hands and feet. You may feel a bit too cold to drink cold water. Also consider that you will probably be drinking a lot more water than usual. Water will be your best friend during this juice fast.

      Happy Juicing!
      Daniela

      Delete
  15. Hi Daniela, Just saw the movie and am motivated to start, just bought a juicer, now there are no farmers markets near my area, and the groceries offer limited organic supplies, could I juice using the non-organic veggies and fruits, and also how many veggies do I need to juice to get a serving, I plan on juicing into 4 16oz jars for each day. For example if I used cucumbers, carrots,apple, about how many cucumbers, carrots and apples does it take to fill up a cup? Your story and pics are very motivating and inspiring. Not to mention a very hot and beautiful lady, please tell me you are single lol. Thank you very much, I hope to be as strong as you are with juicing, as I am a serious carnivore who cant live without meat for too long. Thanks.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay! Thanks for the compliments. Sorry to disappoint but I am happily married! :D You could juice non-organic veggies. They sell veggie washes that are supposed to get rid of the majority of chemicals on produce. You could also just buy certain things organic if you aren't able to buy all. The things I recommend that should be organic are leafy greens, and fruits and veggies with a thin peel. Costco is a great place for organic produce in bulk by the way and it is really cheap!
      In one 16oz jar of green juice- 3-4 bunches of spinach, 3-4 bunches of kale, 2 apples, 1 cucumber, 4-6 stalks of celery. Certain veggies and fruits have different amounts of liquid so it really depends on what you are juicing!
      Congratulations on starting on this health journey! The rewards are amazing! And it's a great process in which you will begin to enjoy healthy food more and more each day. I used to be a meat eater and it turned me into an avid juicer and an organic vegan. I juice on a daily basis ! But take it one step at a time, and your body will let you know what good you are doing for it. You will feel amazing!
      Happy Juicing,
      Daniela

      Delete
  16. Hi Daniela.
    I really enjoyed reading your blogging. Thank you so much for your support. I'm on day 8 and feeling better (never had headaches, which surprises me as I've been so toxic) and now a little concerned regarding I haven't lost any weight in 4 days. I lost 4 the first 4 days and 1 today, which is my 8th day. I mentioned this to my friend who fasted 3 weeks and she told me she lost 6 pounds first week and 1 each week afterwards equaling only 8 pounds. Any idea why her and my weight loss has been slow? Genuinely I want to do this for health but I also was hoping to lose about 15-20 pounds over 3 weeks (I'm about 25 pounds overweight).
    Also, can I drink decaf coffee from the health food store that doesn't have preservatives, etc? I'd love a little with almond milk (is that also allowed?)
    It sure would make this a lot more pleasant. :)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! That's great that you didn't get headaches. Most people that get headaches, are coming off of a caffeine addiction or not drinking enough water. With that said, no coffee is allowed, or almond milk! It's a juice fast :D

      About the weight loss, everyone is different. If you are drinking plenty of water, keeping the ratio of 80%veggies and 20% fruit in your juices then don't worry about it. The weight comes off. I know it's hard but try not to focus on the scale too much because that can be stressful. There are plateau times during a juice fast but your body can't hold on to the weight, it will come off. If you want to give things a boost you can start doing some sort of light exercise like walking or swimming!
      Happy Juicing!
      Daniela

      Delete
  17. Today is my 4th day of my goal of a 40 day juice fast. This is my second fast, my first was 31 days. Your blog just kept me going and motivated!! I literally almost made a bowl of special K and got a coffee but now I'm motivated to complete my second fast, thank you!!! & good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashleigh! Good for you on going for 40 days! You've already proved it to yourself with your previous fast. You have some serious will power! Fasting is not easy and it truly shows your determination for health. Your body is loving you at this moment! Be strong! Thank you for your good wishes.
      Happy Juicing,
      Daniela

      Delete